Thursday, June 7, 2007

Las Vegas – Cirque Du Soleil’s Zumanity


There are a lot of shows running non stop on the Strip. Everything from Barry Manilow to Celine Dione, with some actually good shows as well. I wandered along to the “Tix 4 Tonight” shop to get some cut price, bargain culture. I chose Cirque Du Soleil’s “Zumanity”, but was nearly talked out of it...


These ticket booths are great. They give you a single point from where you can get cheap tickets for tonight’s shows without paying full price. The discounts can be pretty crap for popular shows, so the discount may not be great, but the convenience is well worth it. I went to the shop at the Fashion Show Shopping mall, so it was very easy to find.

When I was buying the ticket, the dude behind the counter nearly fell off his chair when I said I wanted tickets for “Zumamity”. In a very conspiratorial tone, he said “Do you really know what that’s about”. He then asked “Are you sure you want to see that”. I was a bit surprised. Was this guy a rubbish salesman or what! He then went on to explain that it was a show that examined in depth “human sexuality in ALL it’s forms”, then warned me to about some obese identical twins and a midget on a swing. Hmm... This was not the usual sort of show!

I’d seen a Cirque Du Soleil show before and was not impressed. It seemed like a bunch of freaks mincing about in skin tight costumes pretending their tricks were hard. If you looked into the performer’s eyes, they seemed dead. They were robotically performing the same tricks over and over like chimps at the zoo. Not my cup of tea at all. Zumanity promised to be Cirque Du Soleil with jiggly bits, so I thought I’d give it a go.

To be fair, there was a lot of baudy humour in the show. Lots of jokes about tits and nobs and sex. It was all pretty tame though. There was nothing vulgar or offensive. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. After the ticket seller’s sales pitch. I was expecting to see something akin to an Amsterdam live sex show. At the very least, I expected nudity and bananas to be placed in places where bananas shouldn’t go. No such luck. About from a few flashes of boobies, there was nothing in the show that the average person would find confronting or vulgar. Such a shame. It was just regular Cirque Du Soleil, but the chicky babes had their jugs out.

There was the usual sequence of allegedly death defying stunts and acrobatics. To be honest, I found them all a bit dull. They were just repetitions of tricks I’ve seen a million times over elsewhere, so I failed to be too excited by them. The one exception was some ladies diving in and out of a large glass bowl filled with water. That was something different. I think it was meant to be a lesbionic titillation, but it was really just a big glass of tit soup.

Zumanity was a bit of fun. There was enough comedy routines to keep me awake through the show. The audience participation was quite fun and the comedic actors filled their role quite well. I can’t say that it’s changed my impression of Cirque Du Soleil much. It’s still weirdos poncing about on stage. The only different with this show, is that the skin tight outfits are replaced with jiggly boobs.

No comments: