Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hotel - Shangri-La Mactan Island Resort and Spa


I was a bit unsure of where I should stay in Cebu. The first choice was between staying in the centre of Cebu and staying in one of the resorts. After consulting my guide book, there didn't seem to be a lot to do in Cebu city, so I chose to stay in a resort. I'm so glad I did!

Let's face facts, there's not a lot to do in Cebu. All the main attractions in the city can be seen quite comfortably in one morning. There are quite a few shops, but that's not enough to keep you occupied for long. I chose the resort option. The point of the resort is to sit around and do nothing, so I didn't feel bad doing exactly that!

The Shangri-La Mactan Resort and Spa is a very nice place to stay. It's about 15 minutes drive from the airport, so getting here is a breeze. It's also really huge. There's about 5 different restaurants and 2 huge pools. The sea is also close by. The resort has it's own beach, so if you plan on getting some rest, this place has all the bases covered!

I went snorkeling one morning and was surprised that hiring the flippers and goggles was an additional fee. I thought that was a bit mean. Mind you, there was an amazing number of fish to look at and the odd bit of coral, so it make it worthwhile.

There's one small problem with the beach though. Directly offshore, are some rather luxuriant underwater sea grass beds. The fish love them, but the sea grass ends up washing up all over the beach, making it a bit scungy. The staff do clean it all up though, so it's not too bad.

The food in the restaurants is first rate. The room service is also rather yummy and they have a fully equipped gym.

In short, this place is just great. For some five star relaxation, it can't be beat. Stay here. It's nice.

No comments: