Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Guadalajara – Museo de Artes Populares de Jalisco


This is a small art gallery, just off the well beaten tourist trail. It’s so far off the tourist trail that the people at the entrance seemed a bit surprised that someone should even bother coming to visit them. The weirdness continued inside.


The museum is in a lovely converted house with a large open atrium. It seems to display art from up and coming local artists – always a good idea. The only problem was the presentation. I walked into the entrance and was confronted with security guards playing dominoes, secretaries doing office work and general piles of rubbish lying all about the place.

I saw one gallery, so I stuck my head in. There was some nice art in there, but you couldn’t really see it! The lights were all turned off, so you couldn’t really see any of the art. A dark gallery seems a bit silly!

Anyway, I continued up the stairs to the main galleries. There’s some nice art up there, but again, the lights were all off! Very odd. I wandered around, took some photos and walked back down the stairs.


It was at this point, that the staff realised they had a visitor. All of a sudden, they sprang into action and wandering up and asked if I wanted the lights turned on. I’d seen enough, so I wandered out, a little bemused.

The gallery is a couple of blocks west from the main part of downtown. It’s surrounded by some lovely crumbly buildings, so it’s worth wandering around, even if the gallery is too cheap to keep the lights on all the time!

No comments: