Monday, May 7, 2007

Indonesia - Candi Pawon


This is the second of the two temples on the door step of Borobudur. It's a small, square temple, surrounded on four sides by batik and souvenir shops. There was a little bit of drama though when I arrived.


I really hadn't intended going to this temple at all. The driver thought I might like it. You buy a ticket for admission at the Mendut temple, which also gives you free entrance to this temple. What the heck, I'll have a look.


Well, that was the plan, but when I arrived, the temple was closed. I suspect the temple warden had nipped off to the toilet or gone home for a nap or something. The traditional time to visit Borobudur is at about 3:30. The temple seems to run to a tight tourist schedule. I arrived at about 2:30, so everyone was a bit surprised. Even the batik sellers had to scurry about to get their samples ready to come and annoy me!

I had a quick walk around the outside of the temple, took some photos, then left. It really is quite small, but in a cute sort of way.

No comments: