Monday, May 7, 2007

Indonesia - Museum Kareta Kraton


This is a museum just around the corner from the Kraton in Yogyakarta. It holds a display of the Sultan's tripped out carriages. The Sultans really do like to pimp their rides, but this was only slightly more interesting than the Kraton complex.


Finding the museum was a bit of a pain. As I was leaving the mega lame Kraton complex, a kind man came up and started chatting away. I asked him which way the museum was. He said it was closed on Mondays, but if I liked, he could direct me to a very nice batik shop. Such a liar. I wandered around the corner and there was the museum, very much open, despite being a Monday. I felt like going back to the kindly old man and punching him in the nose.

Inside, the museum was full of some very exciting carriages. Of the three carriage museums I've ever been to, this would have to rank a solid number three. There were also some interesting cupboards full of stirrups, a few cases full of fly swats and the very informative display of funny hats.


The best thing about the museum was the fibre glass houses. The horses faces were all very distorted. There eyes were wide in horror, as if they were being continually tortured by some sadistic dwarf and a red hot poker.


Yogyakarta was seriously failing to impress me in any way. The tourist industry is fantastically blessed to have some many ancient monuments on its door step. Otherwise, no-one would be bothered to come here.

No comments: