Sunday, April 1, 2007

#15 Germany

Germany is a big country. It's well run, clean, tidy and a little dull if you ask me. My first trip was on my bus tour around Europe. We visited Hiedelberg, Cologne briefly and that was it. I went back to Berlin a few years later. It's an amazing city. Full of life and action. There is also a lot of modern history on display. You can visit remnants of the Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie museum, which is not to be missed and the Brandenburg Gate.

A few years later, I went to Hamburg. That's a more typical German city - a smattering of historic sights, lots of sausages and some fairly sleazy bars.

Much nicer is Munich. I didn't go to Octoberfest, but the city is modern and well run. The design museum is great. It's also just a hop skip and a jump to the Bavarian mountains and the Neuschwanstein castle.

No comments: