Monday, April 2, 2007

#37 Croatia

Croatia is another of my favourite countries - I'm a sucker for the Mediterranean sun and water. I was initially reluctant to visit. I had strong convictions about the Yugoslav wars in the 90's and thought it was a bit too early to visit. I couldn't have been more wrong. You really need to search to find any visible scars of the war. The most obvious is the slightly different coloured roof tiles in Dubrovnik, but that's. I'm sure the emotional scars of the people run much deeper, but on the surface everyone is happy for you to visit and happier to take your money.

I flew into Split from London. It's a very pretty city. Plonked next to the water, it's jammed with Roman buildings, the medieval town and some amazingly clear water. I then caught the bus down to Dubrovnik, which is just stunning. Not to be missed is a walk around the city walls and a ferry trip over to Lokrum island.

No comments: